Pandora Mail
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Exchange? (Please)

2 posters

Go down

Possible Exchange? (Please) Empty Possible Exchange? (Please)

Post by spudly Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:02 pm

Hello,

Congrats on being out of Beta.  As a long time Eudora user (since mid 90s) I was looking forward to using Pandora.  Unfortunately, we moved to Exchange and had to very reluctantly give it up several months ago.  After using Outlook (2016) for the past 6 months I hate it as compared to the simplicity and power of Eudora/Pandora.  Any hope you might implement Exchange capability into the product or is that a non-starter?  bounce

Thank you.

spudly

Back to top Go down

Possible Exchange? (Please) Empty Re: Possible Exchange? (Please)

Post by Admin Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Hello spudly and welcome to Pandora forum:

As long as Exchange protocol is unknown/proprietary it's a non-starter. Any chance you can configure Exchange as described here (1st half of the page):
https://kb.intermedia.net/article/824

Then just configure Pandora exactly as described for Outlook in the 2nd half of the page (same specs, ports, SSL etc).
Admin
Admin
Admin

http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by spudly Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks for the follow up.

Actually Intermedia is the company where our Exchange is hosted. The problem is I can send/receive email using POP/IMAP it's that I don't get the benefits of Exchange such full mailbox sync, contacts sync with that method. I wasn't sure what the status/details of the proprietary since I have mobile (Android) email apps (specifically I use Boxer) which support Exchange so not sure why a desktop email client couldn't. But admittedly there may be valid reasons, I just don't know.

spudly

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Can it fetch and send messages from number of exchange servers, located on number of remote locations (outside your local network)? Protocol would allow that.

Support via some API is completely different beast, that's certainly possible. Is that what you are looking for? So you just want to fetch messages from local Exchange server, correct?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by spudly Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Hello and apologize for the delay- off the computer for the weekend.
I honestly don't know the innerworkings but the Exchange server is hosted outside of our local network (at Intermedia).  Whatever the ultimate IPs are it is not on our network.  Using the third party app (Boxer in this specific case) I configure it like I would configure POP/IMAP but differently.  It will send/receive email using my cellular connection or any wi-fi.

Perhaps this page (Well I can't post the URL so I will copy contents at the bottom) can explain it a little better?  Specifically use "Exchange ActiveSync; MAPI/HTTP" so all the mailboxes syc (all mail regardless of folder).

Hope that clarifys.

Thank you!

microsoft wrote:What is a Microsoft Exchange account?
Applies To: Outlook 2016 Outlook 2013 Outlook Web App for Office 365 More...
A Microsoft Exchange account is a work or school email account. The organization that gave you the Exchange email account has an IT department that is running a program named Microsoft Exchange Server. This server provides your email service.

What's the name of my Exchange Server?
How do Exchange accounts work?
When you use an Exchange account, your email messages are delivered to and saved in your mailbox on the business's Exchange server. Your contacts and calendar are saved there, too.

When your business or school sets up their Exchange Server, they choose what method your Exchange account uses to access email on the server. This will determine how your email works. Here are the possibilities - ask your business or school how your Exchange account is set up:

Exchange ActiveSync; MAPI/HTTP are methods for accessing your Exchange email, usually from a laptop, phone, or tablet. When you access or read your email, you aren't actually downloading or storing email on your mobile device; instead you're reading it from the Exchange Server. It allows you to access your email even when you're not connected to the Internet.

IMAP, like Exchange ActiveSync, is a method for accessing your email wherever you are, from any device. When you read an email message using IMAP, you aren't actually downloading or storing it on your computer; instead, you're reading it from the Exchange Server.

With IMAP, email in your Inbox, Deleted Items, Sent Items folders are synchronized between your device and the server. IMAP allows for limited calendar storage but does not support collaborating on a calendar with other users.

POP email is downloaded from the Exchange Server onto your computer. Once email is downloaded to your computer, it's deleted from the server. To access the email after it's downloaded, you have to use the same computer. If you access your email from different computer or device, it will look like some of your previously downloaded messages have been deleted.

spudly

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:19 pm

spudly:

POP/IMAP - Of course native support. But you don't have contacts and calendar/events sync.
HTTP - No.
Extended MAPI - Maybe, but not anytime soon.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum